Friday, August 17, 2007

My birthday plans

I know it's been a while. I haven't had much to say recently, I guess. I have to be careful about what I say about my job because of privacy issues and I haven't quite worked out how to tell some of my crazy financial aid stories. There is plenty of material there, that's for certain.

I can tell you what I'm doing for my birthday this evening. I will sitting on my couch watching the premiere of a sure to be classic movie... High School Musical 2.

You see, yesterday I heard through the grapevine (Sharon) that Rachel was assuming that was what I wanted to do on my birthday was watch High School Musical 2 with her. When I talked to her last night, looking into those big blue hopeful eyes, I said well... maybe. It's not that I don't mind seeing it sometime with her, but for my birthday? Anyway, I put Rachel to bed with the "maybe" answer. About a half hour later, she comes out of her room, sniffling. She sits on the couch and hugs me and I see big old tears welling in her eyes. What's wrong, I asked her.

"I really wanted to watch High School Musical 2 with you tomorrow."

Well, what's a dad to do?

Of course, I'll watch it with you. Don't cry. It's okay. I'm looking forward to it. We'll make popcorn. It'll be fun. Just don't cry, okay?

Yep, that's my plans for my 36th birthday.

And really I can't complain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not really a birthday present for *you* (your card's in the mail. Really.), but someone in your family would probably enjoy this:

http://www.irgent.com/walmartwakeup/index.htm

Happy birthday!

Matt said...

I got the card! Thanks! It's a beautiful picture. Made me long for the Appalachian Trail.

I'll check out that website for Rachel.