Friday, April 4, 2008

40 years

Forty years ago today, Martin Luther King was murdered. The day before he was killed he gave a speech where he said, "Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!"



He was speaking to blacks and he was talking about them reaching a promised land of equality. But the fact is, no one is in the promised land if we're not all in the promised land. And we've not reached the promised land in this nation. There is still division between the white American and the African American. Things have gotten better, of course, in my lifetime. And things will be even better when my daughters are my age.

We have not reached the promised land. And I probably won't get there any more than King did. But we, all of us, black, white, latino, asian, all of us, will get there. I have hope. And one of the reasons I have hope is because of this man.



I'm not talking about politics now. I am talking about faith.

No comments: